The purpose of this page is to show the diversity of apps that can be used in physical education (links are to iPhone apps but you can find similar apps on other platforms). The apps are always changing but as long as you know the terminology you should be able to find similar apps that work for you. Additional lists of apps: PECentral and Phys.Ed.Review.
You can also create your own apps for free using the Glide Apps service and Google Sheets. Technically the "app" you create is a webpage, but it looks and functions like an app (without the need to download or authorize permissions).
Assessment - MISCELLANEOUS
- Athla Velocity: A hands free speed radar using your phone. Check out this example activity using the app.
- Heads Up!: Create custom decks to have your students review content and have fun. See this example in Physical Education. Can also use WheelDecide.
- Question Generator: Using SOLO Taxonomy as a framework, this app generates questions to bring in ideas.
- Shot Tracer: Track the flight path of any object.
- SprintStart: Practice sprint starts and test your reaction time.
- SprintTimer: Photo finish app that employs the same techniques as the fully automatic timing equipment (FAT) used at the Olympics.
Assessment - Fitness and Skills
ASSESSMENT - grading Tools and PORTFOLIOS
- Easy Rubric: Designed to minimize the time and effort involved in assessing students and classes of all ages, levels and learning environments.
- eGrader and Groovy Grader: These apps make it easy to calculate student grades (%s). Enter the number of points possible and it will give you a % for each score.
- FreshGrade and Seesaw (physed article and physed webinar): These are comprehensive apps that allow students to upload their work.
- Quick Key Mobile: Use your smartphone to grade scantrons.
ASSESSMENT - STUDENT RESPONSE SYSTEMS
Class Management - BEHAVIOR TRACKING
CLASS MANAGEMENT - MISCELLANEOUS
- AR MeasureKit: Measures different things in the world using your iPhone’s or iPad’s camera.
- GooseChase: Create custom scavenger hunts. Check out this example from a secondary PE teacher.
- Smiling Mind: Smiling Mind is meditation made easy. A simple tool that helps put a smile on your mind anytime, anywhere and everyday.
- Stop, Breathe & Think: A meditation and mindfulness app that helps you find peace anywhere.
- Bitmoji: Create your own emojis (example).
- ChatterPix: Turn any object in a photo into a talking object.
- Clips: Interesting filters that can be applied to videos (example).
- DMD vClone: Merge multiple videos into 1 video. Can be used for skill demonstrations, choice of exercise, and more (example).
- Green Screen by Do Ink: Makes it easy to create green screen videos and photos. See these examples: PE Chef and Physical Snacks.
- Sportfie: Capture game highlights without having to film!
- Superhero Comic Book Maker: Create personalized animated comic books with monsters and superheroes.
- Toontastic: Draw, animate, and narrate your own cartoons.
- Voki: Create customizable speaking avatars for teachers and students.