Service Projects: No Excuses! Documentary and Paradise U Community Project
QUALITY PHYSICAL EDUCATION ADVOCACY
EFFECTIVE TEACHING STRATEGIES
Apps for Physical Education
The purpose of this page is to show the diversity of apps that can be used in physical education (links are to iPhone apps but you can find similar apps on other platforms). The apps are always changing but as long as you know the terminology you should be able to find similar apps that may work better for you. Additional lists:
create your own app for free (and it's easy)
Glide Apps is a free service that allows you to build apps that record data to a Google Sheet. Technically the "app" you create is a webpage, but it looks and functions like an app (without the need to download or authorize permissions).
Assessment - MISCELLANEOUS
- Athla Velocity: A hands free speed radar using your phone. Check out this example activity using the app.
- Heads Up!: Create custom decks to have your students review content and have fun. See this example in Physical Education. Can also use WheelDecide.
- Question Generator: Using SOLO Taxonomy as a framework, this app generates questions to bring in ideas.
- Shot Tracer: Track the flight path of any object.
- SprintStart: Practice sprint starts and test your reaction time.
- SprintTimer: Photo finish app that employs the same techniques as the fully automatic timing equipment (FAT) used at the Olympics.
Assessment - Fitness and Skills
- BMI Calculator: Quickly compute students' BMI scores.
- Cardiograph: Cardiograph is an application which measures your heart rate.
- Fitness Tests - For PE Teachers and Coaches: The app allows for swift reference of over 30 fitness tests from aerobic capacity to flexibility.
- iSOFIT: Obtain simultaneous objective data on student activity levels, the lesson context in which they occur, and more.
ASSESSMENT - GRADING AND PORTFOLIOS
- eGrader: This app makes it easy to calculate student grades (%s). Enter the number of points possible and it will give you a % for each score.
- Groovy Grader: This app makes it easy to calculate student grades (%s). Enter the number of points possible and it will give you a % for each score.
- Easy Rubric: Designed to minimize the time and effort involved in assessing students and classes of all ages, levels and learning environments.
- Quick Key Mobile: Use your smartphone to grade scantrons.
ASSESSMENT - STUDENT RESPONSE SYSTEMS
CLASS MANAGEMENT - BEHAVIOR TRACKING
CLASS MANAGEMENT - Miscellaneous
- AR MeasureKit: Measures different things in the world using your iPhone’s or iPad’s camera.
- drllz: Design and share your drills with players before a training session or update during a game.
- GooseChase: Create custom scavenger hunts. Check out this example from a secondary PE teacher.
- Smiling Mind: Smiling Mind is meditation made easy. A simple tool that helps put a smile on your mind anytime, anywhere and everyday.
- Spotify Kids: Music app for kids.
- Stop, Breathe & Think: A meditation and mindfulness app that helps you find peace anywhere.