Health, Fitness, and Nutrition Resources
"SHAPE America - Society of Health and Physical Educators believes that a preK-12 comprehensive skills-based health education program is a critical component of a student’s well-rounded education in that it must be taught in order to support healthy and academically successful students" (Health Education is a Critical Component of a Well-Rounded Education Position Statement).
Websites - Anatomy
WEBSITES - HEALTH
- Ace Fitness - Tools and Calculators: A number of free tools and calculators to help you determine everything from your body mass index (BMI) to your target heart rate zone, your blood pressure, body fat composition, daily caloric needs and more.
- Amaze: Real info in fun, animated videos that give you all the answers you actually want to know about sex, your body and relationships.
- Amazing Me: Resources for teaching body confidence.
- Arthur Family Health (PBS Kids): Arthur and his friends are here to help with games, videos, and resources designed to help keep your family safe and strong.
- Becoming a Critical Consumer - Guided Lecture: Google Form.
- Bedtime Calculator: Children, teens and adults can use this calculator to identify an appropriate bedtime. Simply select your age and choose your wake time to see the results.
- Biological Age: Measure your biological age in 2 minutes by answering this fun and simple quiz. World Fitness Level is an alternative.
- BrainPop - Health: Videos, lessons, and more on a range of health related topics.
- CBHPE Health Idea Tank: Health education ideas from the physical education community.
- HealthPoweredKids.org: Free lessons on a variety of health topics.
- KidsHealth: KidsHealth is the most-visited site on the Web for information about health, behavior, and development from before birth through the teen years.
- Let's Sleep: Let’s Sleep is your one-stop shop for resources and tools to educate your students on sleep, an essential component to any health curriculum.
- Melanoma Education Foundation: Lesson plan and resources on skin cancer.
- MyHealthFinder: An easy tool to get personalized health recommendations for yourself or a loved one.
- My Family Health Portrait: Internet-based tool from the Surgeon General that makes it easy for you to record your family health history.
- National Eating Disorders Association: Eating disorders screening tool.
- National Environmental Public Health Tracking Network: Data and information on environments and hazards, health effects, and population health.
- OPHEA Teaching Tools: Engaging Students in Healthy Living through Drama, Ideas for Action, Level Up, and Wallet Wellness.
- Safety Related Resources: Our page on safety related resources for health and physical education students.
- YLMSportScience: Health related infographics.
WEBSITES - NUTRITION
- Child Nutrition Sharing Site: Mission is to provide information & services that promote the continuous improvement of child nutrition programs
- ChooseMyPlate.gov: USDA replaced MyPyramid with MyPlate. Also see MyPlate Activites & Healthy Eating Plate Translations.
- Fooducate: Get independent, objective food recommendations with Fooducate.
- Healthy Beverage Guidelines: Information on different beverages.
- Healthy Breakfast Challenge: Activity from KeepingKidsinMotion.
- Hydration Calculator: CamelBak helps you determine your ideal level of hydration.
- i Heart Water: Resources for promoting hydration.
- New Nutrition Facts Label: Refreshed design and updated information will make it easier for you to make informed food choices that contribute to lifelong healthy eating habits.
- Nourish Interactive: Nourish Interactive is your free one stop resource for fun nutrition games for kids, interactive nutrition tools and tips for parents and health educators to use to promote healthy living for the whole family.
- Rethink Your Drink: Information and resources on hydration from the CDC.
- Science and Our Food Supply: Free supplementary curriculum for middle level and high school classrooms.
- Smart Snacks Product Calculator: Take the guesswork out of nutrition guidelines. Simply enter the product information, answer a few questions, and determine whether your snack, side or entrée item meets the new USDA Smart Snacks in School Guidelines.
- Sports Supplements: Information from Kids Health.
- USDA Dietary Guidelines for Americans: 2020-2025 Edition resources available.
- USDA Summer Food Service Program: Search for free summer meal programs in your area.
- USDA Team Nutrition: Provides training for school food service, nutrition education for children and families, and resources to support a healthier school environment
- What's in Food: Nutrition based resources from Nutrition.gov.
- Whyville Snack Shack Games: Nutrition based games from the FDA.
WEBSITES - PHYSICAL ACTIVITY
- BrianMac - Sports Coach: Sports Coach provides information on the many topics related to developing physical and mental condition to help fitness enthusiasts, athletes and coaches achieve their goals and to assist students studying sport related qualifications.
- ExRx.net: ExRx.net is a free resource for the exercise professional, coach, or fitness enthusiast featuring comprehensive exercise libraries, fitness assessment calculators, and reference articles.
- Healthy Sport Index: Tool that assesses the relative benefits and risks of participating in the most popular sports for adolescents. Learn about each sport, and customize the index by adjusting the dial below based on your health criteria.
- National Collaborative on Childhood Obesity Research: Provides a list of 196 common activities in which youth participate and the estimated energy cost associated with each activity.
- Queensland Exercise Library: Exercise GIFs from the Queensland Government website.
- Sworkit Exercises Archive: Short exercise videos from Sworkit.
- TeachPE: Information and resources for anatomy, biomechanics, physiology, and more.
- Tabata Timer: Set up a Tabata timer for free.