No Excuses! - A Documentary about Quality Physical Education
QUALITY PHYSICAL EDUCATION ADVOCACY
EFFECTIVE TEACHING STRATEGIES
Online Resources for Health, Fitness, and Nutrition
"SHAPE America - Society of Health and Physical Educators believes that a preK-12 comprehensive skills-based health education program is a critical component of a student’s well-rounded education in that it must be taught in order to support healthy and academically successful students" (Health Education is a Critical Component of a Well-Rounded Education Position Statement). Also see SHAPE America's resource page School-Based Employee Wellness and our Safety Related Resources page for more resources (ie. Substance Abuse resources).
HUMAN KINETICS' PREZI PRESENTATIONS
- Fitness for Life: The original and best-selling text for promoting lifelong physical activity and healthy lifestyles that result in lifelong fitness, wellness, and health." They have editions for elementary, middle, and high school. Here is their free supplemental materials page.
- Physical Education for Lifelong Fitness: A practical, field-tested tool that provides teachers with strategies to emphasize health-related fitness while maintaining all the components of their existing programs.
Websites - Anatomy
- Anatomy Arcade: Anatomy Arcade makes basic human anatomy come alive through awesome free flash games, interactives and videos.
- Explania.com: This site has animations on health topics including the human heart and calculating BMI.
- GetBodySmart: An online textbook about human anatomy and physiology.
- Healthline Body Maps: This website provides interactive 3D models for learning about human anatomy.
- Interactive Body Map: This interactive body map brings together scientific evidence on the links between lack of physical activity and disease.
- KidsHealth: Variety of resources on the human body including animated videos.
- Spongelab Biology: Test your knowledge of anatomy using their "Build-a-Body."
- Study Guide to the Systems of the Body: Brief overview of each body system along with helpful educational links for adults and instructional links for teachers.
- Study Jams: Slideshows and quizzes on various body systems.
- TeachPE: Information and resources for anatomy, biomechanics, physiology, and more.
WEBSITES - Physical Activity
- ACE Fit: Exercise library.
- BrianMac - Sports Coach: Sports Coach provides information on the many topics related to developing physical and mental condition to help fitness enthusiasts, athletes and coaches achieve their goals and to assist students studying sport related qualifications.
- Build Your Best Day: A fun, interactive and educational tool to help children and youth aged 5-17 and their parents learn about Movement Guidelines.
- DAREBEE: Free downloadable workout cards. Also see their fitness articles.
- ExRx.net: ExRx.net is a free resource for the exercise professional, coach, or fitness enthusiast featuring comprehensive exercise libraries, fitness assessment calculators, and reference articles.
- Fitness.com: Here you have access to hundreds of exercises with detailed instructions and pictures for each exercise step. If you are registered you can add these exercises to your personal workout program and create an exercise plan that you can print.
- FitnessBlender: Website has a large library of playlists ranging from workout routines to health and fitness information.
- Healthy Sport Index: Tool that assesses the relative benefits and risks of participating in the most popular sports for adolescents. Learn about each sport, and customize the index by adjusting the dial below based on your health criteria.
- Queensland: Exercise GIFs from the Queensland Government website.
- Standup Kids: Calorie Burn Calculator, Sitting Time Calculator, and more.
WEBSITES - HEALTH
- Ace Fitness - Tools and Calculators: A number of free tools and calculators to help you determine everything from your body mass index (BMI) to your target heart rate zone, your blood pressure, body fat composition, daily caloric needs and more.
- Amaze: Real info in fun, animated videos that give you all the answers you actually want to know about sex, your body and relationships.
- Arthur Family Health (PBS Kids): Arthur and his friends are here to help with games, videos, and resources designed to help keep your family safe and strong.
- Biological Age: Measure your biological age in 2 minutes by answering this fun and simple quiz.
- BrainPop - Health: Videos, lessons, and more on a range of health related topics.
- KidsHealth: KidsHealth is the most-visited site on the Web for information about health, behavior, and development from before birth through the teen years.
- HealthPoweredKids.org: Free lessons on a variety of health topics.
- Level Up (Ophea): Free online resource that supports educators and program leaders in promoting positive mental health and overall well-being of students.
- Melanoma Education Foundation: Lesson plan and resources on skin cancer.
- MyHealthFinder: An easy tool to get personalized health recommendations for yourself or a loved one.
- My Family Health Portrait: Internet-based tool from the Surgeon General that makes it easy for you to record your family health history.
- National Eating Disorders Association: Eating disorders screening tool.
- National Environmental Public Health Tracking Network: Data and information on environments and hazards, health effects, and population health.
- SHAPE Health Education: Health education resources from SHAPE America.
WEBSITES - NUTRITION
- ChooseMyPlate.gov: USDA replaces MyPyramid with MyPlate. Also see MyPlateMyState, MyPlate Activites, & this website for versions in different languages.
- Fooducate: Get independent, objective food recommendations with Fooducate.
- Nourish Interactive: Nourish Interactive is your free one stop resource for fun nutrition games for kids, interactive nutrition tools and tips for parents and health educators to use to promote healthy living for the whole family.
- Smart Snacks Product Calculator: Take the guesswork out of nutrition guidelines. Simply enter the product information, answer a few questions, and determine whether your snack, side or entrée item meets the new USDA Smart Snacks in School Guidelines.
- USDA Summer Food Service Program: Search for free summer meal programs in your area.
- USDA Health Meals: Information and resources from the US Department of Agriculture.
- What's in Food: Nutrition based resources from Nutrition.gov.