Service Projects: Paradise U and No Excuses Documentary
QUALITY PHYSICAL EDUCATION ADVOCACY
EFFECTIVE TEACHING STRATEGIES
TEACHing tools and RESOURCES
Teaching Evaluation Forms for Physical Educators
Ways to Record
Reflect, reflect, reflect! Evaluation forms serve as a way of assessing your own teaching performance and help provide a clear picture of what you are doing specifically, which may differ from your intention or what you perceive is happening.
We have created free apps for many of these evaluation forms that can be found here (find under the Teacher Resources tab --> scroll down until you reach the "Teacher Evaluation" apps).
1. Duration Recording: Measures the amount of time a defined behavior occurs in class.
- Teacher Behaviors: Management time, Task presentation length, and Circulating in class.
- Student Behaviors: Management time, Practice time, Academic learning time, On/off task time, and Waiting time.
2. Event Recording: Measures the frequency of defined events.
- Teacher Behaviors: Use of students' first names, Cues given, Feedback given, Questions, and Checking for understanding.
- Student Behaviors: Practice trials, Success rate, Feedback received, and Questions asked.
3. Momentary Time Sampling: Measures the occurrence and non-occurrence of behaviors at predetermined times in the lesson.
- Teacher Behaviors: Pedagogical moves and Location in class.
- Student Behaviors: % of students on task at any moment, % of students practicing at any moment, Student success rate, and Appropriate task structure.
Content is from Exhibit 2.7 - Instructional Models for Physical Education (3rd Edition), Metzler, M. (2011) by Holcomb Hathaway, Publishers.
Used with permission of the publisher.
20 INDICATORS OF EFFECTIVE PHYSICAL EDUCATION INSTRUCTION - SHAPE AMERICA
"The indicators detailed in the checklist reflect the practices and policies recommended in SHAPE America’s guidance documents: The Essential Components of Physical Education and Physical Education Program Checklist. When conducting a walk-through evaluation or an evaluative observation of a physical education class, school administrators should expect to see the following practices."
ACADEMIC LEARNING TIME - PHYSICAL EDUCATION (ALT-PE)
Assesses the amount of time students are engaged in academic learning. The class is coded in 10 second intervals (select the category that represents what 50% or more of the students are doing during that interval). Categories include: activity, transitioning, management, knowledge (cognitive learning), waiting, or off-task. Click here to download.
Assesses the type of tasks in a lesson and the order in which they were presented. Lessons should include each of the four types of tasks but there is no recommended order (tasks should vary). Click here to download.
LIEBERMAN-BRIAN INCLUSION RATING SCALE FOR PHYSICAL EDUCATION
Physical Education Curriculum Analysis Tool
"The Physical Education Curriculum Analysis Tool (PECAT) is a self-assessment and planning guide developed by CDC. The PECAT is designed to help school districts and schools conduct clear, complete, and consistent analyses of physical education curricula based upon national physical education standards."
Qualitative Measures of Teaching Performance Scale (QMTPS)
Assesses the quality of various teacher processes that impact student learning (The Validity of the Qualitative Measures of Teaching Performance Scale as a Measure of Teacher Effectiveness). Click here to download.
SYSTEM FOR OBSERVING FITNESS TIME INSTRUCTION (SOFIT)
TEACHER MOVEMENT PATTERNS
Assesses the teachers' movement patterns during a lesson. Do they stand in one place? Do they tend to circulate around the same area? Are they constantly moving around the space to all students? Click here to download.