English Language Learners
English Language Learners (ELLs) represent a significant population in schools today. As such, it is important to use strategies that can assist student learning in any content area. In terms of physical education, it is in a unique position as it has characteristics supportive of ELLs with conditions similar to those in which children acquire their first language (Clancy, M. & Hruska, B., 2005). These characteristics include:
- A large amount of interactions with other students.
- A low-stress environment for language performance.
- Opportunities to demonstrate language comprehension through physical expression.
- Physical involvement with language.
- Success can be independent of language performance.
- The use of multiple mediums to present information.