Social Justice and Diversity
SHAPE America Appropriate Practices
- 1.4.1 Teachers create an environment that is inclusive and supportive of all students, regardless of race, ethnic origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion or physical ability. Such differences are acknowledged, appreciated and respected.
- 1.4.2 Teachers intentionally select activities that represent a culturally diverse environment (e.g., dances and games from around the world).
- 1.5.1 All students (boys and girls, high- and low- skilled) have equal opportunities to participate and interact with the teacher (e.g., leadership, playing “skilled” positions, teacher feedback). All students, regardless of developmental level and ability, are challenged at an appropriate level.
- 1.5.2 All students are encouraged, supported and socialized toward successful achievement in all content taught in physical education (e.g., dance is for everyone).
- 1.5.3 Physical educators use gender-neutral language (e.g., “students”).
- Social Justice Standards
Social justice standards
Culturally Responsive Teaching
Articles - Physical Education
Articles - General Education
Gender and Sexual Identity
Health Across the Gender Spectrum - Youtube Playlist
Trans 101 - The Basics
social justice pedagogy - Articles
social justice pedagogy - Resources
Additional Compilations of Social Justice Resources
Social Justice Resources
Social Justice - Youtube Playlist
The Mask You Live In