Join the Coalition for Quality Physical Education
We will all benefit from a more fit and healthy population. Aside from the overall improvement in health and wellness, health-care costs go down, workers become more productive, and students learn better. Physical activity is a tool that all children should learn how to use to boost the quality of their lives. Companies who profit from physically active people might consider the long-term investment of supporting the existing infrastructure that is school-based physical education. When it is done right, it “produces” young adults who are physically literate, and have a desire and a plan to be active for the rest of their lives. More active people = more sales of physical activity related goods and services.
We are inviting individuals, private industry, and non-profit groups to join us in our mission:
- To promote the National Standards and Grade Level Outcomes in order to help all children achieve physical literacy so they can be active for life.
- To advocate the importance of quality, standards-based physical education to parents, school boards, administrators, and policy makers.
- To support teachers and future professionals who are committed to this mission by providing or facilitating no cost access to quality resources, curriculum, professional development, conference fees, equipment, and more.
Pledge Your Committment
Take the pledge and make a commitment to support quality physical education: Spread the word about the importance of regular physical education and support physical education programs; Educate people who do not know that physical education is a research-based academic subject with standards and grade level outcomes; Be ready to explain what Quality Physical Education is and how it is different from Physical Activity.
Contribute to the Coalition
If you believe you have a way for us to spread the word about Quality Physical Education to parents, administrators, and elected officials, and/or you can help us with financial support for our work, please contact us at supportREALteachers@gmail.com.
Specific needs of the COalition
- Create advocacy graphics and videos.
- Hire spokesperson for local presentations (ie. school board).
- Improve local and national media coverage.
- Improve representation of teachers in multimedia (TV, movies, music, etc).
- Allow in-store messaging at businesses (signage, customer receipts, electronic displays, etc).
- Support SHAPE America SPEAK Out Day.
Supporting PE Programs
- Provide teachers with free/discounted professional development opportunities.
- Provide teachers with free/discounted curriculum.
- Provide teachers with free/discounted equipment.
Spartan kids and SPARK #BEUNBREAKABLE challenge (2020-2020)
- Who: Students (Elementary and Secondary) + we encourage family members to join in the fun!
- What: Spartan Kids #BEUNBREAKABLE Challenge Activity Sessions: All activities are designed to be done indoors or outdoors and only with family members who are known to be healthy. We encourage responsibility – participate in activities that are suitable for you and your family considering all guidelines and recommendations of the CDC. More information can be found here.
- Where: View sessions at home (indoors and/or outdoors). Internet access required.
- When: 10-week challenge starting Tuesday, April 7 and ending Friday, June 12. Sessions will be posted each week at 12:00 p.m. ET: Elementary sessions posted on Tuesdays and Thursdays; Secondary sessions posted on Wednesdays and Fridays.
- Why: To support students accepting the challenge to be lifelong learners – advocating for their own health and wellness beyond school.
- How: To view the archived sessions, go to SPARK’s YouTube Video Library.
SPARTAN Adventure Races for elementary, middle, and high school
6 SPARTAN Races themed adventure races for physical education were created by 2019 National High School Physical Education Teacher of the Year Dan DeJager in collaboration with SPARK and SPARTAN Races. See one example below and find the other 5 races on our Examples of Creative Fitness Activities page.
Click on Photos to Enlarge and Click Here to Download on PDF