Coalition for Quality Physical Education
We will all benefit from a more fit and healthy population. Aside from the overall improvement in health and wellness, health-care costs go down, workers become more productive, and students learn better. Physical activity is a tool that all children should learn how to use to boost the quality of their lives. Companies who profit from physically active people might consider the long-term investment of supporting the existing infrastructure that is school-based physical education. When it is done right, it “produces” young adults who are physically literate, and have a desire and a plan to be active for the rest of their lives. More active people = more sales of physical activity related goods and services.
We are inviting individuals, private industry, and non-profit groups to join us in our mission:
- To promote the National Standards and Grade Level Outcomes in order to help all children achieve physical literacy so they can be active for life.
- To advocate the importance of quality, standards-based physical education to parents, school boards, administrators, and policy makers.
- To support teachers and future professionals who are committed to this mission by providing or facilitating no cost access to quality resources, curriculum, professional development, conference fees, equipment, and more.
Pledge Your Committment
Take the pledge and make a commitment to support quality physical education: Spread the word about the importance of regular physical education and support physical education programs; Educate people who do not know that physical education is a research-based academic subject with standards and grade level outcomes; Be ready to explain what Quality Physical Education is and how it is different from Physical Activity. All of this information is available on our website.
Contribute to the Coalition
Help become part of the solution by supporting and advocating for quality physical education. See our specific needs below and contact us at supportREALteachers@gmail.com if you think you can help us logistically and/or financially.
- Advocacy: Create advocacy graphics and videos.
- Advocacy: Hire spokesperson for local presentations (ie. school board).
- Advocacy: Improve local and national media coverage.
- Advocacy: Improve representation of teachers in multimedia (TV, movies, music, etc).
- Advocacy: Allow in-store messaging at businesses (signage, customer receipts, electronic displays, etc).
- Advocacy: Support SHAPE America SPEAK Out Day.
- Supporting PE Programs: Provide teachers with free/discounted professional development opportunities.
- Supporting PE Programs: Provide teachers with free/discounted curriculum.
- Supporting PE Programs: Provide teachers with free/discounted equipment.