No Excuses! - A Documentary on Quality Physical Education
QUALITY PHYSICAL EDUCATION ADVOCACY
EFFECTIVE TEACHING STRATEGIES
Physical Education Organizations
National Organizations - Physical Education
- National PE Institute: Organization that focuses on professional development.
- President's Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition: The President’s Council engages, educates, and empowers all Americans to adopt a healthy lifestyle that includes regular physical activity and good nutrition.
- SHAPE America: SHAPE America's mission is to promote and support leadership, research, education, and best practices in the professions that support creative, healthy, and active lifestyles.
- SHAPE Districts: Directory of SHAPE America districts.
International Organizations - Physical Education
- Association for Physical Education (UK): Our purpose is to promote and maintain high standards and safe practice in all aspects and at all levels of physical education, influencing developments in physical education at national and local levels.
- Australian Council for Health, Physical Education and Recreation: ACHPER is concerned with the provision and quality of physical activity, recreation, personal development, health promotion and education in all education institutions from pre-primary through to the tertiary sector.
- International Council for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, Sport, and Dance: ICHPER-SD is the largest, membership-based international and umbrella organization that includes professors, teachers, researchers, coaches, educators and administrators in the fields of HPERSD and related areas.
- PHE Canada: Canada’s premier professional organization for physical and health educators since 1933.
National Organizations - Health and Wellness
- Action for Healthy Kids: Action for Healthy Kids is the nation’s leading nonprofit and largest volunteer network fighting childhood obesity and undernourishment by working with schools to improve nutrition and physical activity to help our kids learn to eat right, be active every day and be ready to learn.
- Active Schools: This free online toolkit will provide you with easy-to-use resources and activities every month that will help you educate your administrators, school board members, parents and colleagues about the importance of a comprehensive school physical activity program with physical education as its foundation.
- Alliance for a Healthier Generation: The Alliance for a Healthier Generation is a catalyst for children’s health. We work with schools, companies, community organizations, healthcare professionals and families to transform the conditions and systems that lead to healthier kids.
- Aspen Institute - Project Play: The Aspen Institute Sports & Society Program created Project Play in 2013 to find ways to help all children in America become active through sports.
- Change Lab Solutions - Healthier Schools: Browse our tools for developing strong local school wellness policies, increasing physical activity in schools, sharing recreational facilities, promoting Safe Routes to Schools, restricting advertising on school campuses, improving school vending and more!
- Fuel Up to Play 60: Fuel Up to Play 60 is the in-school nutrition and physical activity program founded by National Dairy Council® and the National Football League, based on a mutual commitment to the health of the next generation.
- Safe Routes to School: Advances policy change and catalyzes support for healthy, active communities, starting with walking and bicycling to school. We are dedicated to creating livable, sustainable communities where all people can be healthy and physically active.
- PHIT America: PHIT America is a cause and campaign dedicated to increasing physical activity and fitness to improve the health of America.
- Voices for Healthy Kids: These are the stories of those working to engage, organize, and mobilize communities to help all children achieve a healthy weight.
National Organizations - Education
- Edudemic: Covers the latest research, news, and resources for educators.
- Edutopia: A comprehensive website and online community that increases knowledge, sharing, and adoption of what works in K-12 education.
- informED: InformEd is a learning and teaching hub designed for educators and e-learners, featuring resources and interactive and innovative ideas for learning and trends in education as well as education technology.
- Larry Ferlazzo: This is a great blog that I follow daily. His site posts articles that vary from instructional practices to current issues in education. In addition, he has a Best of Series page which has links to over 600 lists he has created for finding online resources on various topics.
- National Council on Teacher Quality: The National Council on Teacher Quality advocates for reforms in a broad range of teacher policies at the federal, state and local levels in order to increase the number of effective teachers.
- TeachThought: TeachThought is primarily interested in exploring new learning models, including blended learning, project-based learning, self-directed learning, and the role of play in learning while also supporting existing K-20 educators as they seek to improve their own craft in practice today.
- WeAreTeachers: An online resource for lesson plans, professional development resources, grants and contests for teachers, and much more.