Quality Physical Education Advocacy
Quality Physical Education
No Excuses! Documentary
Recess and Play
Effective Teaching strategies
Articles and Videos
Dance - Overview and Resources
Dance should be integral part of all physical education programs. Social and ballroom dance teaches skills that are useful in real life events such as weddings, birthdays, holiday parties, and other social gatherings. The complexity of the movements involved in dance, coupled with the potential for moderate to high intensity cardio makes this an exceptionally well suited activity for growing brain cells and improving learning and academic performance. Other benefits include: it is fun, incorporates social skills and appropriate touching, often includes a cultural component, are great warm-up activities, and are a part of national and states' standards.
Articles on Dance
- BallroomDancers.com: This website has instructional videos, examples of music, and various information on many ballroom dances.
- BSD Brainboost: Dances for 2nd through 5th grade.
- Dance 4 All (MacKenzie Mushel Ellis): A blog site that dedicated to dance resources.
- Dance Cards: Students can create their own routines using these free cards.
- Explore Dance (SHAPE America): Homepage for their organization's dance resources.
- Jump Band Cards (AHA): Task cards for Jump Bands.
- Learning the 5 Steps of Tinikling: Instructional video on this unique style of dance.
- Mr. Sickler's Tinikling page: Videos and resources on Tinikling.
- PECentral (1): Search their archives for great dance ideas and videos.
- PECentral (2): Dance lessons and videos.
- Square Dance: This website has animations for square dancing.
- Square Dancing 101: This website has animations for square dancing.
- Teaching Dance for Understanding: Dance for Understanding is a learner-centered approach that helps educators draw from students' knowledge, creativity and personal interests, while delivering a purposeful curriculum that develops physical literacy and fundamental movement skills.
- TeachPhysed: A variety of dance videos categorized by intensity level.
- TheElementsOfDance.org: Teachers and Teaching Artists are welcome to use this online resource in their classes. You'll find downloadable tools, assignments and discussion prompts throughout the pages.
- Videos and Visual Aids (PHE Canada): Videos of various dances from different genres. See their left sidebar for more dance resources.
- #PhysEd Playlists: A crowd sourced Excel document with lists of songs for a variety of genres.
- 7 Tips for Making Music Playlists That Kids Will Love: Article with guidelines on creating music playlists for your students.
- Ballroom Song List: A PowerPoint that lists songs for various ballroom genres.
- iHeartRadio Family: Kid friendly music app.
- Kids Songs and Nursery Rhymes: A video that includes over an hour's worth of kids songs.
- Move to Learn Songs: A playlist of active cross-disciplinary songs that can be used when creating dances.