No Excuses! - A Documentary on Quality Physical Education
QUALITY PHYSICAL EDUCATION ADVOCACY
EFFECTIVE TEACHING STRATEGIES
Apps for Physical Education
You can use these apps or find others by using search terms from the descriptions. Lists of more smartphone apps can be found at:
Apps for Teachers, PECentral, Phys.Ed.Review, SPARK Apps for Teachers, and The PE Geek Apps.
Apps for Teachers, PECentral, Phys.Ed.Review, SPARK Apps for Teachers, and The PE Geek Apps.
Assessment - Miscellaneous
- Athla Velocity: A hands free speed radar using your phone.
- Blacktop PE: Comprehensive physical education assessment tool.
- Cardiograph: Cardiograph is an application which measures your heart rate. You can save your results for future reference, keep track of multiple people with individual profiles, add notes and locations, and even print out your measurements for sharing or safe keeping.
- eGrader: This app makes it easy to calculate student grades (%s). Enter the number of points possible and it will give you a % for each score.
- Fitness Tests - For PE Teachers and Coaches: The app allows for swift reference of over 30 fitness tests from aerobic capacity to flexibility. Upon selecting your test you will be provided with the aim, equipment, procedure and the norm standards so that you can easily and accurately complete the tests you desire.
- Groovy Grader: This app makes it easy to calculate student grades (%s). Enter the number of points possible and it will give you a % for each score.
- Heads Up!: Create your own custom deck to have your students review content and have fun. See this example in Physical Education.
- iSOFIT: Obtain simultaneous objective data on student activity levels, the lesson context in which they occur, and how instructors interact regarding promoting physical activity and fitness during physical education.
- Move Improve: Helps learners work on basic physical skills through giving and receiving feedback from peers.
- Question Generator: Using SOLO Taxonomy as a framework, this app generates questions to bring in ideas; questions to connect ideas and questions to extend ideas.
- Quick Key Mobile: Use your smartphone to grade scantrons.
- Shot Tracer: Track the flight path of any object.
- SprintStart: Practice sprint starts and test your reaction time.
- SprintTimer: photo finish app that employs the same techniques as the fully automatic timing equipment (FAT) used at the Olympics.
- SwipeStats: Users can observe a match and capture actions including: number of passes complete, success rate of tackles, percentage possession, and more.
- TimeMotion: TimeMotion allows you to record the activity profile of a sportsperson live during an event, or analyse an existing video stored in your photo library.
Assessment - Portfolios
Assessment - Student Response Systems
Communicate with your audience during a presentation. Audience members can ask questions or give responses in real time using cell phones and connected devices.
Augemented Reality and Exergaming
- Class Dojo: ClassDojo helps teachers improve behavior in their classrooms quickly and easily. It also captures and generates data on behavior that teachers can share with parents and administrators. See these examples.
- Classroom Badge Maker: Create badges that can be used in assessment, class management, and gamification.
- Decibel 10th: Monitors the noise level in your class.
- Easy Attendance: Easy Attendance provides a simple and intuitive interface that allows teachers and instructors to easily capture and archive attendance.
- iDoceo: Comprehensive app includes: scheduler, gradebook, seating plans, and more.
- iRewardChart: iRewardChart makes it easy to reward your children for good behavior and keep them motivated.
- Remind: Remind offers teachers a free, safe and easy-to-use way to instantly text students and parents.
- TeacherKit: Take attendance and track grades and behavior for your students. Set up a profile for each student that can even include information such as allergies. You can email parents and/or students directly from the app.
- Teacher’s Aide: You can use this app to take attendance, enter grades, create reports, and more.
- Teacher’s Assistant: Teacher's Assistant Lite allows teachers to keep track of student actions, behavior, infractions, and achievements in the classroom.
- Too Noisy Pro: For the responsible adult it is like having a virtual assistant with you, constantly monitoring noise levels and letting the children know in a fun and engaging way if noise levels have reached an unacceptable level.
- Exercise Buddy (Autism): ExerciseBuddy inspires individuals with autism and related disorders to exercise and helps professionals and parents.
- FitRadio: Choose your music by genre, workout type, BPM, and more. Receive new mixes daily.
- FitBit Coach: Transforms your iPad into a personal trainer, delivering a wide range of customized workouts that are as interesting and exciting as a video game.
- GoNoodle Kids: GoNoodle Kids turns screen time into active time with hundreds of fun movement videos.
- iMuscle2: iMuscle2 is a highly visual, 3D-based health and fitness app.
- JEFIT: Designed to improve an individual's workout in the gym, ease of tracking body statistics, create custom workout routines, detailed exercise database, and two-way synchronization with online server to store information and keep logs of fitness progress.
- Skipping Skills: Video explanations and demonstrations of each skill are taught by world class jump ropers.
- Spring: With Spring you run, walk or bike like you dance - to the beat of songs you love. Spring is like having a personal workout DJ with you when you exercise.
- Sworkit: Sworkit takes you through 5-60 minute circuit training workouts requiring no equipment. Just choose what part of the body to workout and for how long.
- Sworkit Kids: Turn Fitness into a game with your children with customizable workouts for Strength, Agility, and Flexibility!
- Trifecta: This simple app delivers a WOD Log, daily WOD's, CrossFit Timers, Paleo Recipes, CrossFit News and more...
- WOD Deck of Cards: This little gem will help you track and log your custom workout's records in a very easy way.
General Health and Safety
- 5-2-1-0 Kids!: Designed to teach children 4-9 years old the 5-2-1-0 message, endorsed by the American Academy of Pediatrics. 5-2-1-0 means 5 or more fruits and vegetables, 2 hours or less of recreational screen time, 1 hour or more of physical activity, and 0 sugar-added drinks every day
- American Red Cross: A variety of safety apps.
- CDC Heads Up: Concussion and Helmet Safety app will help you learn how to spot a possible concussion and what to do if you think your child or teen has a concussion or other serious brain injury.
- CDC Health IQ: Challenge your Health IQ in this fun and educational health trivia app.
- Concussion Recognition & Response: Helps coaches and parents recognize whether an individual is exhibiting/reporting the signs and symptoms of a suspected concussion.
- Easy First Aide: An incident & treatment record keeping tool.
- First Aide: The official American Red Cross First Aid app puts expert advice for everyday emergencies in your hand. With videos, interactive quizzes and simple step-by-step advice it’s never been easier to know first aid.
- Monster Heart Medic: An adventure game where you must help diagnose a friendly monster named Ragnar and guide him on his path to a healthier life.
- MyFitnessPal: Lose weight with MyFitnessPal, the fastest and easiest to use calorie counter. With the largest food database of any calorie counter (over 2 million foods), and amazingly fast food and exercise entry, we’ll help you take those extra pounds off!
- Ophea Safety Guidelines: Addresses the minimum standards for risk management practice in schools. They focus the attention of teachers, intramural supervisors and coaches on safe practices, in every activity, in order to minimize the element of risk.
- OSHA Heat Safety Tool: The App allows you to calculate the heat index for their worksite and display the risk level.
- Smiling Mind: Smiling Mind is meditation made easy. A simple tool that helps put a smile on your mind anytime, anywhere and everyday.
- SuperBetter: Playing SuperBetter makes you more capable of getting through any tough situation—and more likely to achieve the goals that matter most to you.
- WebMD: First aide information (internet connection is not needed).
Timers and Scoreboards
- AR MeasureKit: MeasureKit makes it really easy to measure different things in the world using your iPhone’s or iPad’s camera.
- Bitmoji: Create your own emojis (example).
- Charity Miles: Enables you to earn corporate sponsorships for charity by walking, running or biking.
- ChatterPix: Turn any object in a photo into a talking object.
- Decide Now!: Create a custom spinning wheel for random selections (students, exercises, etc.).
- DMD vClone: Merge multiple videos into 1 video (great for skill demonstrations).
- drllz: With drllz you can design and share your drills with players before a training session or update during a game.
- GooseChase: Create custom scavenger hunts.
- Green Screen: Makes it easy to create incredible green screen videos and photos.
- Make Dice: Create custom dice on your phone/tablet and use for activities.
- My Bowling Scorecard: Students can use to score their own game.
- Settle your Glitter: This app guides you through a deep breathing exercise that allows you to regain control of emotions and shift focus back to the task at hand.
- Spin Da Wheel: Input selections and spin the wheel to decide.
- Stop, Breathe & Think: A meditation and mindfulness app that helps you find peace anywhere.
- Superhero Comic Book Maker: Create personalized animated comic books with monsters and superheroes.
- TempoPerfect: Metronome software for keeping a clear and precise beat.
- Voki: Create customizable speaking avatars for teachers and students.
- Yonder: Plan your next adventure with Yonder. Created for everyone, from backyard explorers to backcountry adventurers.