Purpose of organization
- Advocate for quality PE.
- Provide free PD for teachers (through website and other programs).
- Provide free quality resources for teachers.
- Must remain a completely free website (no ads, registration, etc). There are too many great resources that have been created but rarely used because they are behind paywalls.
- Keep it short and sweet. Web reading attention is shorter than paper based. Part of this is removing redundant information/resources. For example, if 2 linked articles say the same things then we would keep whichever one is better.
- Provide links to different perspectives (we don’t necessarily have to agree with it; must not be inappropriate).
- Make it as engaging and aesthetically pleasing as possible. We do plan on adding more pictures from the documentary.
- Create/curate content that fills gaps in physed community.
- Avoid stating specific data, as numbers are always changing (ie. child obesity stats).
- Avoid redundancies as much as possible (ie. resource listed on more than one page).
Web design and maintanence
- Annual audit (Summer): Update/Remove broken links and other fixes
- Create and curate content for the website
- Check for new research that compliments existing research on the site.
- Update website graphics and features
- Keep these Glideapps up to date: see update schedule on this page
- Examples from Twitter embed - HTML dimensions 400x500
- Accordian color is #bed0e8.
- Maximum of 2 columns for text.
- Youtube html Playlist dimensions (just change hyperlink)
- <div class="wsite-youtube" style="margin-bottom:0px;margin-top:0px;"><div class="wsite-youtube-wrapper wsite-youtube-size-auto wsite-youtube-align-center"> <div class="wsite-youtube-container"> <iframe src= "https://www.youtube.com/embed/KJHzUN6P5BQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> </div> </div></div>
Search Engine Optimization
social media (twitter)
- Original content found via Google Alerts and hashtag search (Tweetdeck)
- SRT content.
- Retweet physed tweets looking for help (and provide help if possible; #PhysedMentor program).
- Use https://shapeorgsdirectory.glideapp.io/ to tag state SHAPEs.
- We avoid tweeting anything that costs $ (other than state/national organization stuff).
UPDATE SCHEDULE FOR GLIDEAPPS
Doctoral Website Email Templates
The Intellectual Commons for PETE Doctoral Education website is dedicated to PETE doctoral programs in the United States. Our purpose is to provide free access for faculty and students to program information and syllabi used physical education teacher education. Please review the site and let us know if you are interested in being added (there is an application form on the homepage). Currently there are 11 programs participating. Besides contributing to the field of PETE doctoral education, participation brings additional free exposure to your program from prospective students.
I hope the end of the semester is treating you well. It is that time of year to review your program's information on our site http://petedoctoralprograms.weebly.com/. This is important because university links and contact information often changes. You can send updated information via the application on the homepage or by responding to this email.
yoga - cathrine
- Intro text on the benefits of Yoga.
- Text on appropriate practices and common contraindications seen in online videos, social media, and apps.
- Example tasks.
- Idea - Instead of filming the pose "from start position to holding position to ending position," just film the sequence without holding the pose. Then in editing we can pause the video and use a still image for the holding phase with a timer overlaid on top. This will:
- make all the holding phases the same amount of time
- speed up filming
- eliminate potential mistakes that can happen during holding phase
- allow for modifications of holding time (ie. can have 10 second, 20 second, and 30 second holds).
role modeling page - cathrine
- Update text from Cathrine's original article.
- Move "Who are REAL Teachers" to this page.
- Online resources.
Dance PEDAGOGY VIDEOS - Cathrine
New sections (akin to Yoga page): Guidelines for teaching dance; example learning tasks.
- Film different 8 counts segments for line dances (individual moves).
- People can arrange in any order to create their own line dance.
Website banner - cathrine
- Include a diverse set of pictures
- Diverse students (Ethnicities and Gender)
- Diverse learning activities (psychomotor, cognitive, affective)
- 1920 x 1080 pixels or 1500 x 900 pixels (width x height).
- We could also spell out the REAL acronym under the photos in the banner "Reflective Engaged Accountable Life-Changing." I'm pretty sure people wonder about it.
equipment lending at libraries - Collin
- Shouldn't be too much work to get the program started, we just need a willing library (school and/or community).
- SRT will be responsible for acquiring equipment and providing resources to help start the program. The library just needs to find a space for the equipment and add it to their check out process.
- Possible demonstration days for the equipment by PETE students.
- Do a blog/podcast on the process of getting the program started (ie. the need for it; how much work involved; user feedback).
Blog and Podcast on D-PETE - Collin
- Lisa Paulson from UNC is willing to help out (https://slowchathealth.com/2022/05/17/pursuing-my-phd/).
- Blog: a doc student's personal reflection on their experience. Maybe Lisa can start writing this since she is in the middle of it. Or we can find a 1st year doc student and have them reflect after each semester. It will probably be better than trying to recall the entire program from memory.
- Wiki: formal write up on the process akin to our other pages, Maybe Collin could write this up.
- Podcast (schedule for the Fall)
- Panelists should be diverse in their circumstances.
- Part time student.
- International student.
- Someone with little K-12 teaching experience.
- Someone with a lot of K-12 teaching experience.
- Someone with a disability.
- Panelists should be diverse in their circumstances.
- Questions for blog and podcast
- What is it like being a doctoral student?
- What are my classes like?
- What are comprehensive exams like?
- What are dissertations like?
- What is an assistantship?
- What is GA workload like?
- Can I work part-time outside of university and still pursue a degree? Is it feasible?
promoting the pledges - cathrine
Paradise U - Cathrine
- Press release
Film Power of the Mind activity - Kevin