No Excuses! - A Documentary on Quality Physical Education
QUALITY PHYSICAL EDUCATION ADVOCACY
EFFECTIVE TEACHING STRATEGIES
Resources for Weight Training and Conditioning
Benefits of Weight Training and Conditioning
National Strength and Conditioning Association Position Statement on Long-Term Athletic Development
- Increased Metabolic Rate - Weight training increases the body's metabolic rate, causing the body to burn more calories throughout the day.
- Increasing and Restoring Bone Density - Inactivity and aging can lead to a decrease in bone density and brittleness. Studies have proven that consistent weight training can increase bone density and help prevent Osteoporosis.
- Increased Lean Muscle Mass and Muscle Strength, Power, and Endurance - Everyone can benefit from being stronger. We can work harder, we can play more, we can workout longer, and we can be more alive.
- Injury Prevention - A wide variety of sports-related or life-related injuries can be prevented by strengthening muscles and joints.
- Improved Balance, Flexibility, Mobility and Stability - Stronger and more resilient muscles improves our balance, which means more comfortable living & accidents.
- Decreased Risk of Coronary Disease - Participation in a consistent weight training program has a wide variety of affiliated health benefits including decreasing cholesterol and lowering your blood pressure.
- Aids Rehabilitation and Recovery - One of the best ways to heal many types of injuries is to strengthen muscles surrounding the injured area. The stronger your muscles, the quicker the healing process.
- Enhanced Performance in Sports or Exercise - No matter what your favorite sport or physical activity, your performance can unquestionably be improved with a proper strength training program.
- Aging Gracefully - Physical activity keeps us alive and vibrant.
- Feeling Better and Looking Better - As painful as weight training can sometimes feel, there is nothing more satisfying than the feeling after a good solid work-out. Stronger muscles and joints can have a dramatic impact on posture and leaner toned muscles tend to make everyone feel better about their appearance. This all leads to improved self-esteem and self-confidence.