Techniques for Learning Names
Learning Student Names - For Teacher
- Use your rosters to become familiar with the students' names before you meet them.
- Have students say their name before asking you a question.
- Say the students’ names out loud as you take attendance.
- Use a roll call sheet with pictures (you can usually get these from the school’s class management software or see class management apps on our iPhone/iPad Apps page). You can also use flash card applications with their name and photo or take a short video of them holding a name tag.
- Have students create an index card with their name, picture, and some interesting facts about them. They can also make a sports trading card online.
- Use our affective daily rubric and attach their picture to it.
- When doing a lesson with stations, have one of them be an interview station so you can get to know your students.
- If your students wear uniforms, either write their name on the uniform or use a temporary name tag sticker for the first few weeks.
- Use their names as often as you can!
Learning Student Names - For Students
- Perform a scavenger hunt where the students must find a student with a trait from the list. They are finished once they have a name for each trait.
- Have students interview each other and then give a short presentation to the class.
- Have students write down 2 truths and 1 lie. Then see if the class can guess which is which.
- Play the adjective game where students say their name along with an adjective that starts with the same letter (ie. Basketball Brian).
- Play the handshake game where they must find a partner, introduce themselves, and create a new handshake. Repeat the process with new partners.
- Quiz the students on each other’s names after using some of the above techniques.
Icebreakers - Name Games
All of these activities come from the Ice Breakers & Openers CD-ROM of The Inspire! Youth Series from Learning Support which graciously allowed this site to use some of their content free of charge. For more activities and content see their website Learning Support. Download Instructions for All Icebreakers Here.